Bacon Wrapped Meatloaf

May 16

With the cold and rainy weather of last week, I felt the urge to make some classic comfort food.  One of my favorite recipes for meatloaf comes from “The Perfect Recipe” by Pam Anderson.  Pam is a contributer to America’s Test Kitchen and her cookbook is filled with the perfect recipes for classic american cuisine.  I did alter glaze recipe to make extra because my family loves it so much!

Bacon Wrapped Meatloaf

• 1 TBSP kosher salt
    • 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
    • 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
    • 2 teaspoons Worchestershire sauce
    • 1/4 teaspoon hot red pepper sauce
    • 1/2 up milk, buttermilk or low-fat plain yogurt
    • 2 pounds meat-loaf mix (I use ground beef, but you can try 2 parts ground beef to 1 part ground turkey if you like)
    • 2/3 cups crushed saltine crackers (about 16)
    • 1/3 cup minced parsley
    • 6 ounces thin-sliced bacon
    • Glaze

Brown Sugar Glaze

Mix all ingredients in a small bowl; set aside.

Meat Loaf

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heat oil in a medium skillet. Add onion and garlic, saute until softened, about 5 minutes; set aside to cool.

Mix eggs with thyme, salt, pepper, mustard, Worchestershire, pepper sauce, and milk or yogurt. Add egg mixture to meat in a large bowl, along with crackers(or oatmeal or bread crumbs), parsley and cook onions and garlic; mix with a fork until evenly blended and meat mixture does not stick to bowl. (If mixture does stick, add additional milk, a couple tablespoons at a time, and continue stirring until mixture stops sticking.)

Turn meat mixture onto a work surface. With wet hands, pat mixture into a loaf approximately 9 by 5 inches.

Cover a wire rack with foil; prick foil in several places with a fork. Place a rack on a shallow roasting pan lined with foil for easy cleanup.

Set formed loaf on rack. Brush loaf with half of the glaze, then arrange bacon slices, crosswise, over loaf, overlapping them slightly and tucking them under to prevent curling.  Place the 2nd half of the glaze in a small pot on the stove and heat over low heat until ready to serve.

Bake loaf until bacon is crisp and loaf registers 160 degrees, about 1 hour. Cool for at least 20 minutes. Slice and serve

Posted by on May 16, 2011 in Meat

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

16 responses to “Bacon Wrapped Meatloaf

1. Denise

May 17, 2011 at 4:33 am

This is delicious!

2. S. L.

May 17, 2011 at 7:06 pm

I bet this one could be done on the Weber. I make the meatloaf in the Weber book quite often.

3. Rock Kitaro

May 17, 2011 at 10:12 pm

That has to be rich with flavor.

4. Everyday Gourmet

May 18, 2011 at 1:23 am

Thats sounds like a great idea! If you try it, I would love to know how it turns out1 :-)

5. Kevin

May 18, 2011 at 2:58 am

The health police would not approve.

6. Sandi

May 23, 2011 at 2:47 pm

I made this yesterday for dinner–wow, is that good! As a confirmed carnivore, it really worked for me. My daughter also loved it. Thanks for sharing! 😉

7. Tim M

June 19, 2011 at 8:06 pm

It looks absolutely stunning, my friend also made a meatloaf recipe on my stie, but instead of just putting on the bacon he weaved them together! It was really good!

Bacon Wrapped Meatload

• Everyday Gourmet

June 23, 2011 at 9:50 pm

Very cool! It looks beautiful! I will certainly have to give that a try! :-) Thanks for sharing the blog, too!

8. party crackers

November 7, 2011 at 9:19 pm

I’ve been exploring for a little for any high-quality articles or blog posts on this sort of house . Exploring in Yahoo I at last stumbled upon this website. Reading this info So i am satisfied to express that I’ve a very just right uncanny feeling I discovered exactly what I needed. I most surely will make certain to do not forget this web site and give it a look on a constant basis.

9. Babs

August 29, 2012 at 7:10 pm

Yes! This is my favorite meatloaf recipe, too. We joke that this recipe is the reason my husband keeps me around. It’s the recipe he requests for his birthday. I was a confirmed meatloaf-hater until I tried it. And we ALWAYS double the glaze. Sometimes, I make it into two meatloaves – more end pieces!

10. Pam

December 17, 2012 at 2:50 pm

I made this last night and it was amazing! My kids ate it for breakfast :)

• Everyday Gourmet

December 22, 2012 at 4:11 pm

Glad you (and the kids) enjoyed it!

11. Jim Morrison

February 6, 2014 at 12:30 am

I’ve made this recipe dozens of times and it is always a hit. I had some folks come over who don’t eat pork, so I made this with ground turkey and skipped the bacon. Since turkey is pretty bland I punched up all the spices just a little to get it some more flavor. I substituted smoked tabasco sauce and added a teaspoon of liquid smoke to make up for the loss of the bacon smokiness. The turkey version was also excellent.

• Everyday Gourmet

February 12, 2014 at 2:42 pm

Oh! Thanks for the idea….I will have to try that next time. :-) Glad you enjoy the recipe and thanks for reading my blog!

12. Tim