Are you looking for a use for leftover steak? It’s hard to find a way to serve it that would be acceptable for another wine worthy dinner. Here is a quick and easy recipe for leftover steak and a perfect mushroom gravy.
Steak Bites in Red Wine Mushroom Gravy
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (I used my microplane to make for easy clean up)
- 16 ounces sliced mushrooms (I used baby bellas)
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 cup good red wine (preferably the one you are drinking for dinner)
- 1.5 cups water with 1 tbsp cornstarch whisked in
- 1 tsp beef base paste. (I prefer Better Than Boullion brand)
- 2 cups steak, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 Tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped
Saute mushrooms, salt, pepper, and garlic in a large pan over medium high heat until mushrooms have browned and have reduced in size by half. (about 5 minutes)
Deglaze the pan by pouring in the red wine and scraping any brown bits off the botton of the pan with a wood spoon. Reduce wine until almost dry. Add steak bites to pan and stir.
Stir in water/cornstarch mixture and beef base and heat until boiling over medium heat. Sprinkle with rosemary. Reduce heat and simmer just until the steak is heated through. (about another 3-5 minutes) You DO NOT want to over cook the steak bites, so keep a close eye.
Serve with crusty bread.